Sunday, January 23, 2011

I am finally posting! Day 1

Ready to board the plane for our long journey to Israel!

The Negev, part of the way up our hike.

Near the end of the hike, relaxing.

Miriam- our wonderful lunch host!

Grave sites of David & Paula Ben-Gurion

The view Emily & I had, from our hotel in Tel Aviv


January 17-18
We’re here! 
Teacher Sheila and I have safely arrived in Israel.  After 2 long flights we arrived at Ben-Gurion Airport in Tel Aviv.  After going through customs, we met our tour educator and headed off to our hotel.  We went out to a fantastic Israeli dinner at Maganda.  We had two rounds of appetizers before they brought our entrĂ©e.  The owner came by to welcome us.  After dinner we all collapsed, ready for a good night sleep!

Tuesday was a busy day.  We headed out to the Negev Desert.  I was challenged in ways I’ve never been challenged before, physically, emotionally and spiritually.  We completed an intense rock clime/hike.  I don’t know if I’ve ever been as proud of myself, for completing anything!  When I have a chance to post photos, you’ll see what I mean J
Near the end of the hike, we saw sand that was yellow, orange and (of course) purple!  The views of the desert, from the summit, were some of the most beautiful scenery I’ve ever seen.  It is powerful to think about ancient history and what it might have been like having to take this hike (or something similar) for 40 years.  The best part of the hike was the bonding between everyone in our group.   There were experienced hikers and rock climbers all the way to novices, like me.  Everyone was physically and emotionally supportive and I know we became closer because of it.

After our hike we were hosted in the home of a lovely woman, Miriam.    She lives in the community of Yeruham.  Miriam is part of a program called “Women Chefs in Yeruham”.  These women host groups of travelers as their job.  It was a delicious home cooked lunch of her local specialties and family recipes.

Our evening ended with dinner at Kibbutz Mashabee Sadee, where we also spent the night.  Laila Tov… It’s time for me to get some sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment