Monday, January 24, 2011

Masada and the Dead Sea

Monday January 24
Today was one of the days I was looking forward to, the most (after Kabbalat Shabbat at the Kotel).  I was looking forward to doing the hike up Masada but after last weeks hike I wasn't so sure!  When we arrived at Masada I looked up and wondered if I was making a mistake in trying the hike.  I decided to "Go For It"!!!  What the heck... this trip has been all about me breaking out of my comfort zone and trying new things!  New foods and new physical challenges have been a recurring theme of this journey!  


It was a very long hike with a steep incline and a lot of switchbacks!  For those of you who were on the famous Glacier Point hike, when I fell, I managed to stay upright the entire time.   This hike was so physically challenging for me that not only could I feel my heart racing but I could HEAR it!   Our group quickly divided into smaller groups heading up the trail and different speeds.  I was taking up the rear (again) but was actually keeping pace with, and sometimes out hiking, the group of 15 year olds also climbing Masada!  One young man was overheard telling his friend "Look, even the adults are faster than you..."  I felt a great sense of accomplishment at reaching the top.  As I neared the top I heard Muki saying "Go Peri, you're almost there!"  I looked up and saw Sheila's big smile encouraging me towards the top (Thanks Sheila)!!!


We spent a little over an hour (a guess) on top of Masada, learning all about the fortress, how it was built,  why it was built and touring many of the rooms.  It was crowded at the top of Masada with many tour groups which was frustrating for some of the tour guides.  Muki was fantastic, as usual!  


After we finished touring Masada we took the gondola to the bottom and headed for Mineral Beach at the Dead Sea.  While we were on the bus Muki told us about all of the protocol for the Dead Sea.  Most of us decided to eat lunch, cover ourselves with the mineral mud and float in the sea.  I even tried the sulfur pool at the end but it was too hot and stung, after being in the salty sea!  The mud is gooey when you rub it all over your body!  It was nice to have friends helping each other "paint" our bodies with the mineral rich mud.  You are supposed to let the mud dry before going into the Dead Sea.  It really does hurt when you get water in your eyes!  Do not try this at home!  When you walk into the water, you are supposed to walk in up to your thighs the turn around and "sit down" this is when you begin to float.  It is a funny feeling.  When you visit Israel, you should try this.  It is so much fun!  


Getting ready to hike up to Masada


Sheila & I at the top of Masada




Yes... I covered myself with mud!


Floating in the Dead Sea!
For dinner, a few of us walked to Ben Yehuda Street, a pedestrian street, for another delicious dinner of falafel & schwarma, this time at Moshiko.


Tomorrow we will be visiting Yad VaShem.
I might not post again, until I get home.   
We'll see if I get internet.
Laila Tov.

No comments:

Post a Comment