Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Tastes and Aromas of Israel

Wednesday
January 26

I realized that I hadn’t written much about the aromas & tastes of Israel, yet.  I am getting used to the bountiful Israeli breakfast buffets.  I know… at home I barely even eat breakfast.  I may need to change this habit!  A typical breakfast, for me, has consisted of cucumber-tomato-feta salad, yogurt with granola, a variety of cheeses, green salad, sliced oranges and/or kiwi, potato burakas (a filled puff pastry with sesame seeds on top) and today there was a vegetable mix (spinach/tomato/onion… with lots of garlic) that was especially delicious!!!  Almost every day I have made a cheese sandwich, to go.  It has become a routine J

There have been several visits to a variety of markets (shuks).  It is incredible to walk down the crowded aisles past stands of fruits, vegetables, nuts, spices, teas, fresh fish and pastries.  The market vendors are calling out to get you to come to their stand and the bargaining begins.  

Entering the Arab Market

Dried fruit and nuts

So many spices...

I don't know what this was, besides delicious!!!

Fluffiest pita ever!

An assortment of sweet treats
All of these food vendors are in between stalls filled with all kinds of souvenirs and scarves… oh the scarves.  My roommate is coming home with 17 scarves more than she arrived with.  Many as gifts but several for herself!  Don’t get me wrong; I helped the Israeli economy as well!  You will just have to wait and see what I come home with.

Another interesting day in Israel!  Today was filled with meetings & lectures.  We met with a variety of people who discussed contemporary life, in Israel with us.  They covered journalism, t.v./film and the LGBT community.  Another fabulous lunch, this time  at "Grill Bar", which had the fluffiest pita I've ever seen.  There has been an increase in food documentation so I'll post a few photos of our lunch!


After lunch we had a free afternoon for more sight seeing and shopping!  Back at the hotel and although I will be happy to get home I am sad to be packing!!!

L' hitra'ot

No comments:

Post a Comment